Making the decision to sell your house is a big one. Maybe you have to relocate for work or have bought your dream home and the pressure is on to sell. Or perhaps it is just the right time for a change. Regardless of the reason you are selling, you are probably asking yourself, “How can I sell my house fast and for the price I want?”.
In order to feel confident in your decision to list your home, use these tips and tricks to get yourself and your home ready for its close up.
Price Your Home Right
Properly pricing a home for sale is truly an art and alot of research and knowledge goes into the final number. If you overprice your home, you will scare buyers away and it will sit on the market for a long time. Too low, and you may miss out on thousands of dollars that could have been in your pocket.
Real estate agents that specialize in listing properties are a huge asset to you as a homeowner for many reasons, the biggest one being the creation of an in depth Competitive Market Analysis, or CMA. A CMA is a an indepth view of your home how it currently sits in the real estate market and the factors that will impact your home’s sale. It is also great way to get a feel for a listing agent.
The type of information you should see in a CMA include:
- The demographics of your area and the most likely type of buyer
- Factors that will affect the value of your home in a positive or negative way like:
- Market Factors
- Location (both surrounding area and property specific information)
- Value adding and reducing features
- Recent sales summary of your property and properties like yours in your area for comparrison
- Information about at least a few comparable properties in your area that have sold along with the sale price, when it was sold, the listing price, and why your home would sell for less or more and why
- The data used to collect this information like historical listing sheets and Geowarehouse reports
- A well explained opinion of the value of your home and the expected sale price
- The listing strategy they would use including marketing examples and a list of trusted professionals
- How to get your home ready and what is included in listing with them like a staging consultation, professional photos and video, 3D tour, professional cleaning, access to trusted professionals to help you get your home ready and more
As you can see, alot goes into pricing your home. A very competitive Sellers market like the one we are currently experiencing in Ottawa is all the more reason to list with an experienced agent as they know exactly what needs to be done to get your house on the market, sell it fast, and for the price you need.
Stage Your House
Marketing is a huge part of selling your home, and how your home looks is a big part of the materials. Think of staging your home like styling a home magazine spread. You want buyers to feel excited and inspired from the moment they walk through the door and they should easily be able to see themselves living in your home.
We highly recommend having at least a consultation appointment with a professional staging company as they have staged homes hundreds of times for sale and know exactly what will draw the types of buyers you need. In a staging consultation, they go through your home with you and give you a list of ways to elevate your home’s appearance before listing.
When you list with our team, one of the complimentary services we provide is a consultation with Room Remedy, Ottawa’s premier staging company. Their consultations are a wonderful guide to help you as a homeowner get ready for sale.
If you need help, you can also hire them to fully or partially stage your home using items already in your home as well as ones they provide from their extensive collection of home decor. They also offer staging services for vacant properties, project management for bigger jobs, and shopping.
For some great staging tips and tricks to get you started, check out these blogs:
Think of your home’s marketing strategy like you would, say, a coffee maker. Would you be more drawn in by the coffee maker with professional, well lit photos, a detailed item description, a video showing the features and benefits of the product, and clear instructions as to how to see it in person and how to purchase? Or would you buy the one with photos taken on an old iPhone with little to no information?
A robust listing with all of the accompanying bells and whistles helps get your home in front of as many buyers as possible as fast as possible. Especially during COVID, a strong internet presence can make all the difference in how fast your home sells and for how much.
Some of the elements you should have to successfully market your home are:
- Professional photos
- Video walkthrough
- 3D virtual tour
- Floor plans and measurements of rooms
- A detailed feature sheet (the sheet that holds all the details of your home like the type of heating you have and how many bedrooms and bathrooms there are)
- A well written description of your home and the property it sits on
- Clear instructions of how to book a showing and when offers are being accepted
- Well designed marketing graphics for social media advertising with well researched hashtags
- A reliable listing agent that will shop around your listings using their connections to drum up as much interest in your home as possible
Strategic marketing can make all of the difference in selling your home. Experienced listing agents know what elements of your home to highlight and how to market to the right buyers. They come with a treasure trove of techniques in order to attract the right people to your home and sell for the price you want quickly.
Picking The Right Offer & Negotiating The Best Deal
In a Sellers market, there is a chance you may experience multiple offers. The paperwork and offer process can be overwhelming when you have one offer, let alone when choosing between multiple offers or negotiating the best deal. An experienced agent will be able to guide you through all of the offers, weed out the less serious buyers, and help you choose the winning bid.
If you are selling in a buyer’s market, an experienced listing agent is a necessity as they know how to negotiate the best deal and attract the right buyer to your home in order to help you sell in the time frame you want at the price you need.
If you have any questions about selling your home, give me a call or send me an email! A CMA is free to have done and I am more than happy to help you sell your home!