The spring cleaning bug has bitten and there is no better time than quarantine to get everything decluttered, cleaned and organized! I have created a 30 day declutter challenge to help you tackle your home in small, maganageble, bite sized pieces! The biggest mistake we all make when decluttering is biting off more than we can chew, so here is a great way to get started today on completely decluttering your home!
Here's my 30 day challenge sheet. This sheet could also be turned into a declutter bingo or double the days for a 60 day deep cleaning challenge! Since we are all stuck at home anyways, why not get the whole family involved and come out of quarantine with a tidy, decluttered home.
Feeling overwhelmed? No problem! Here are some great tips and ways to get you started!
- Designate specific boxes/bags/spaces to “donations”, “keep”, “pack away”...etc before you begin a room. I like to have my scissors, boxes, bags, tape, sharpies, or anything else I might need in one place so that they are easy to find and shuffle from room to room.
- Create an energizing playlist, listen to an audio book, or pick a podcast to keep you company.
- In your kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room, take a minute before you begin to decide what you want displayed and what needs to be put away in cupboards, drawers, or on shelves. Place those items aside and tackle what needs to be put away first. The decorating part is always the most fun!
- If you are unsure as to whether you should hold on to an item or not, ask yourself “Do I NEED this?”, “Does this bring me happiness or have sentimental value?”, and, “Have I used this in the last year?” (if you are still unsure, a “maybe” box is a great way to revisit items to make your final decision.
- Use the acronym F.A.S.T
- FIX a time that suits everyone included
- ANYTHING not used in 12 months
- SOMEONE else’s stuff (donation!)
- TRASH (and recycle!)
- Go with the traditional YES and NO piles!
- Be strict with yourself and do not hold on to too much “emotional clutter”
- If you are still not feeling motivated, an episode of Hoarders does wonders!
BONUS TIP: If you are having trouble purging your closet, organize all of your clothes so that they are hanging in your closet. Face every hanger backwards. Every time you pull a piece of clothing and wear it, return it to the closet with the hanger facing the correct way. If you pull a piece to wear and decide against it, make sure it goes back into the closet with the hanger facing the WRONG way. No cheating! In 6 months, go through the hangers that are still facing the wrong way and decide whether they are worth the space in your closet!
The only downside to decluttering now is that you will most likely have to hold on to your donations until the COVID-19 pandemic has allowed those that pick up and sort donations to do so safely. At the moment, the only local options are donation boxes that are not being cleared out as frequently or at all. Please do not contribute to the landfill and hold on to re-usable items to donate once you can!
I also have a great Blog about deep cleaning your garage! Click here to read it!
Whether it be to prepare your house for sale in the future or you are simply in need of a tidier home, this list will help. Join me for a 30 day declutter challenge and if you ever have any questions, give me a call!